Comprehensive College Admissions Counseling
At Lafayette Academy, our college admissions counselor identifies “best fit” colleges for your son or daughter, guides the application process, and increases the likelihood of acceptance.
Our Comprehensive College Admissions Counseling Program is full again for grades 9-12. We may have a few spaces in our new “College Applications Launchpad (“CAL”) program.
Our comprehensive college admissions counseling program begins with hourly appointments for high school freshmen or sophomores to make sure they are on the right path to college admissions success. Freshmen and sophomores benefit from advice on course curriculum, extracurricular activities, and standardized testing. During these initial appointments, we create an academic plan for the remainder of high school, consider options for activities and programs to supplement academics, and discuss standardized tests.
Following these initial appointments, families can choose to sign up for the Comprehensive College Admissions Counseling Program, which begins after sophomore year. Most families reserve a spot in this program after their initial freshmen or sophomore visit, which leads to the program filling up quickly. Our counselor only works with 15 – 18 students per grade.
If you would like to learn more about any of our programs (and your children are in middle school), request an initial meeting here. Rest assured, my wife (our dedicated college counselor) is not an “over-the-top, Ivy League or Bust” counselor. The middle school reference is simply an acknowledgment that parents need to register early to guarantee their child a space in our college admissions counseling program.
Comprehensive College Admissions Counseling:
Pre-Applications Preparation & Support
- A comprehensive battery of assessments to help students identify latent interests and potential college majors.
- Continued advice on academic subjects and extracurricular activities to ensure students maximize their high school experience.
- Building your high school resume one year at a time
- Guidance on standardized tests, retakes, and submissions
- An extensive college search culminates in a list of colleges that are great fits for your son or daughter. The list includes “likely”, “target”, and “reach” schools.
- Exposure to lesser-known, highly regarded schools that are universally loved by their students
- Preferred access to other Lafayette Academy services (e.g. our best SAT Prep tutors, and special SAT Prep workshops just for our college counseling students)
- Weekly meetings to keep students on track throughout the application process
- Brainstorming and editing college essays
- Help and advice filling out applications
- Assistance with tasks on Naviance
- Advice about school visits and mock interview sessions
- Access to an online college search and application management system
- Financial Aid advice
- Help with the final decision on which college would be the best to attend based on acceptances
To speak to our counselor (with no obligation), click the “request services” button below and complete the brief form:
No credit card required
Kathy Bressler received her Bachelor’s Degree from the University of California, Los Angeles, and earned her Masters’s Degree in Communications Management from the Annenberg School of Communications at the University of Southern California. She also completed UC Berkeley Extension’s Certificate Program in College Admissions and Career Planning.
Kathy is the co-owner of Lafayette Academy and has been a college counselor for 14 years. She belongs to two different consortiums of college counselors in the Bay Area that meet monthly, and she has traveled to approximately 40 states visiting hundreds of colleges. Pre-pandemic, Kathy attended many yearly conferences and is a member of the following professional organizations:
- NACAC (National Association for College Admission Counseling)
- WACAC (Western Association for College Admission Counseling)
- HECA (Higher Education Consultants Organization)
Personal Information & Experiences
While Kathy raised her four very active daughters in Lamorinda, she was on the Burton Valley PTA Board of Directors, Las Trampas Swim Team Director, Chair of the Youth Committee and a member of the Board of Directors at Temple Isaiah in Lafayette. As a parent and later as a college counselor, Kathy guided her four daughters through significantly different academic experiences and college admissions challenges.
Her oldest daughter, Mallory, graduated from the University of Michigan with a double major in Political Science and Sociology with an emphasis in Education. Mallory managed after-school programs in Boston and NYC, helped manage a few non-profit organizations, and is now running a coaching business for non-profit organizations. She also founded and hosts the “What the Fundraising” podcast.
Kathy’s next daughter, Dana, graduated from UC Santa Barbara as a Business Economics major with an emphasis in accounting. Dana worked at several companies, including KPMG, Google, and Credit Karma. Now she is a Product Manager at Airbnb. That’s how they do it these days.
Kathy’s youngest daughters are twins, Hillary and Rebecca. Hillary double majored in Sociology and Political Science at UC Davis and has a popular dog training business in Lamorinda. Becca was a Cognitive Science major at UC Berkeley and is a producer at Radiolab in NYC. The twins turned 30 in December, so we’re probably older than you.